Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Green red bell peppers

Ahhh...the promise of a roasted red bell pepper can't be beat! This is a pepper plant I brought inside over the winter, so it had a jumpstart on the year when I set it out for summer. This first of the year green bell pepper will absolutely not be plucked early. I know, I admit often to picking veggies weeks, sometimes months ahead of the norm, but not these--ever. I cannot stand the flavor of a green bell pepper. When someone has them on pizza, I can't eat the pizza--even after picking of the nasty bastards.

But wait long through the summer, wait until a greeny turns crimson red, that's real cuisine, there! I'll slice a few up, lay in a casserole dish, pour olive oil and balsamic vinegar over them, grind sea salt, sprinkle shredded basil leaves over them, and roast in the oven several hours. Oh man, place a few strands of roasted reds on a cracker with some brie, or dice up and mix in your burgers on the grill, or throw some in a greek salad, or scatter them on a pizza, or in a big, Scooby-doo style sandwich, or, or, or!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast