Thursday, February 09, 2006

Colorado morels


Excerpt from my Colorado '05 journal:

It's now tuesday evening, and we've stumbled on an incredible sight for camp. I sit idly beside a raging rapid, looking up through the aspen and pine to a jagged snowclad peak. A cool Maple nut brown ale in my grasp, and the pipe-smoking Jared by my side. Moments ago we finished quite a meal of buffalo burger, onion, portabella mushrooms, and MORELS, sopped up with some of telluride's own home baked bagels. The euphoria of place and beer-sipping merge into a calm, peaceful ecstasy. An hour earlier I had been wandering up and down the screaming river, exploring. I had picked up a few shards of aspen bark, then squatted down in an overflow creek looking at the many granite rocks in the creek. Glancing eventually to my left, on a bed of brilliant green, soft moss, stood a pair of black morel mushrooms so beautiful and perfect! AWESOME! I cannot believe my eyes! With trembling hands and thoughts of a jealous wife back home, I prepare one of the best meals of the trip...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Great campsite, I wish I'd been there to share that beauty, and the Maple Nut Brown Ale, Buffalo, & Morels too!
:~)

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast