Tuesday, February 14, 2006

red fox cruisin'

Today, at about 1pm, I was out on the front lawn watching the bluebirds dive down from the power line and pick seeds off the lawn then pop back up. I saw an orange flash off to my left and looked up in time to see a fox cross the driveway, climb up the bank, and trot right past me...20 feet away! It crossed the lawn and looked up at me without breaking stride, then crossed into our woods and dissappeared. A full, lush coat gleaming in the sun, he was beautiful. What a moment! My wife got to see it all, too.

The red fox is the most widely distributed carnivore in the world; North America, Europe, Britain, Japan, Australia, throughout Asia and into North Africa. They can run up to 48km/hr and leap as high as 2 meters! It is an omnivore eating mainly rodents, rabbits, insects and fruit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast