Monday, March 27, 2006

violet blossom syrup, DEE-lish!


We have a bank alongside the driveway that has turned purple with violet blossoms the last couple of weeks, so I decided to try out a recipe from my favorite foraging author; Euell Gibbons. This simple recipe for making syrup was taken from "Stalking the Healthful Herbs". Eaten raw in salad is pleasant enough, but WOW what flavor as syrup! I think it tastes a lot like huckleberry syrup, perfect for some waffles in the mornin'.

1. Stuff a jar with blossoms and fill with boiling water. Let steep overnight.

2. Strain and discard blossoms after squeezing them out.

3. For every cup, add juice from 1/2 a lemon and 3/4 cup sugar.

4. Bring to a boil, boil it down a bit for thicker syrup, then put in sterilized jars and seal.

2 Comments:

Blogger javaseeker said...

Hi adria,

I haven't tried it on pancakes yet, but just know it would be perfect. So far, we've been sweetening our evening tea with it and it's great. It's really super easy to make, too.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In spite of my name, I was actually looking for Jing orange okra when I stumbled across your site. I love the idea of eating/cooking with violets (as well as lavender and roses). I can't wait to try this, but first I'll have to grow some violets! Used to have an abundance, while growing up in Maryland. Now in the Houston, TX area, they're pretty scarce! Thank you for sharing your recipe and photos!

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast