Friday, June 02, 2006

Surprises of June

These squashes are among the first of the season and were amazingly delicious (remember, I absolutely hate large squashes, ick). I put a little butter in a pan, sliced them all in half (keeping the blossoms on), and sauteed them with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper. Mmmm--



I decided to build another raised bed yesterday out of my collection of free scrap lumber from construction sights, when I had quite a surprise. Reaching for a 2x2 board leaning against the wall, I stirred up this guy. I might have screamed like a little girl for a moment, but nobody was around so I won't admit anything.



The white patch about 8 inches from his head is not a play on lighting or flash. I wish I knew what kind of snake it was--anybody know?

2 Comments:

Blogger CG said...

it looks like it could be a copperhead. Several snakes are marked like that, but the head seems triangular enough. The pupils are another giveaway. Pits on their heads ('pit vipers').

You are further south than we are, but we only have two poisonous snakes hereabouts -- copperheads and rattlesnakes.

3:31 PM  
Blogger javaseeker said...

cg--you scared me. I thought copperheads were always "copper" colored until I looked it up after you posted. It'll teach me to be more diligent with research. After digging around in my photos and identification books, I found out it was a rat snake (phew), but only after I learned about the pupils.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast