Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The unknown is scary


Back in October, I stepped down from a job I've done for ten years. I'd been planning on the semi-retirement for some time, to take a swing at the unknown. Homesteading, building an apartment to rent, and a chance to spend more time with my wife doing things we've always wanted to do, were all reasons for the step down. Exciting yes. Scary yes, too.



For the last two weeks, the chicks have been planning too. Peeking out the screen door into the outside world, full of wonder. A few would even crane their necks around, looking for a way to get out there. They'd sit up against the screen, just looking outside all day long, dreaming of what life would be like out there.



Well, today is the day to find out. Opening up the door to the pen, I sat back in eager anticipation. And waited. And waited. Everybody taking their turn peeking out, then chickening out. So far, nobody's gotten the guts. But it takes time to get ready for the leap into the unknown.

The unknown's scary.

2 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

It is. We're moving onto an acreage and setting up with chickens, and for whatever reason, I'm having heart palpitations about it. Just unknown, I guess.

9:30 AM  
Blogger javaseeker said...

How exciting, madcap! Just to let you know ahead of time, the heart palpitations are from the unwritten to-do list you've been dreaming of doing for so long. I'm envious. Acreage. Oh the orchard I'd have...

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast