Wednesday, June 07, 2006

It was an Eastern Rat Snake


After Contrary Goddess said the snake in my garage might be a copperhead, I dug around in my identification books and looked closer at my photos. I had thought copperheads were only "copper" in color. Turns out they can be in gray shades also. The pupils are a marker, however. The rat snake has round pupils and the copperhead has vertical pupils.

Juvenile rat snakes will eat lizards and frogs, then predominantly rodents when adults. We have a vole problem (I believe it destroyed one of my blueberry plants by eating its roots), so this constrictor is a welcome guest. Just not so much in my garage.

1 Comments:

Blogger CG said...

And the rat snakes are much more common than the poisonous ones. Always pays to be careful though.

And tomatillos are great self-seeders. Plant them once and have them always. We just gave away plants yesterday! More and more one straw revolution type sorta stuff.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast