Sunday, January 14, 2007

Laurel-Snow


I can't tell you the last time I've gone hiking lately. Been caught up in too much--well, no excuse for it. The Laurel-Snow wilderness area is near Dayton, TN and includes a beautiful hike next to a raging river, caves, and a couple waterfalls (one about 80ft, I think). They used to mine and log back there in the 1800s and early 1900s. You'll see rock walls put together so well, no mortar was needed. A mine shaft/cave is there on the trail, too. My good friend Dirk (who married Becca and I a few years ago) and I went hiking there a couple days ago.
We found a tree with its roots growing through the rock--there were none growing around it.


Don't know yet what kind of spider this is, anybody know?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that spider on the ground? Because it looks like an orb weaver of some sort. I don't see a web, though.

I'm just about caught up with the archives here... Have enjoyed it all.

FWIW, I'll link y'all up from my page in a hot sec.

10:45 AM  
Blogger javaseeker said...

Yes it was on the ground. Almost stepped on it, despite its bright orange color.

PS Don't read it ALL at once, I can't keep up!

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast