Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Multi-tasking and the art of surprise

A few minutes ago I was busy outside, doing some transplanting as the cool of the evening set in. I had picked up a marjoram plant, and found the perfect spot happened to have a few garlics in the way. Tonight's dinner would be perfect with some freshly plucked purple garlics, so up they came. Proceeding to dig a hole for the new marjoram, I stumbled upon this little fortress with an evil-looking black furry spider inside.


The white circle above the spider in its hole is the man-hole cover it had built for its home. It fits nicely over the entrance--I obviously hadn't known the home was there until the lid popped open. A closer view of the spider is below.



4 Comments:

Blogger javaseeker said...

As a side note, immediately after I posted, I went out to cover it back up, and the spider had already done it for me.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Susie Q said...

OMG Mike, That is a HUGE spider! You find some of the most fascinating (and weird) stuff! Cool find.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a trap-door spider of some sort. A little time at bugguide.net would probably sort it out, if you were so inclined. Nice photos, anyways.

You wouldn't want to be a beetle walking alongside that trap-door, I'll tellya.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

OK! That is the creepiest spider I have ever seen. Thanks for the photo. I definitely will think twice about picking up rocks.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast