Friday, April 14, 2006

Pains and aches start to pay off

It's now been a year since we arrived at our new home. Often I get discouraged by so many projects--both untouched and unfinished. I dream of a place like what's found at path to freedom, so much abundance and conservation. I long for the knowledge found in the essays of eleutheros, to live in independence from the slavery of Babylon. To gather round me and know the indigenous species of our land, like Jim and Peg have done. Alas, but I have chosen to be chained to a job that affords me a few luxuries in Babylon. I don't think I even want those luxuries anymore if it costs me the pleasures of working and studying the land around me.

But that's another story. Stepping back a moment from the mad rush of spring planting, I took these pictures of the butterfly garden in its early stages of growth, and of the raised beds I've constructed from free scrap lumber and I see a marked difference from the past. Evolution cannot be seen much from day to day, and you could hardly compare my spread to the masters mentioned above. But I see the direction life has taken on this little spot of land and I see hope, promise, purpose, and great fulfillment in what I've done this far. I enjoy this walk of life more than I imagined. I'm addicted to its power. And now, back to the hoe and spade.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's been the stroy here in SW Florida for my family as well. We moved into our place in 2004 and it was a blank slate, totally. Nothing but a humble 3/2 sitting atop a mound of fill with some grass. But we saw its potential, and we snapped it up.

For gardening, SW Florida presents unique challenges. The summers are brutally hot, only cooled by regular showers, which lead to ladles-full of humidity. There aren't that many vegeatbles that LIKE our growing seasons.

The ornamental plants (especially the natives) do well, of course. But my family can't eat firebush and porterweed.

So we've been talking a lot about getting out of here. Going somewhere not too far from you guys, actually (NC or TN, thereabouts). Someplace with clean air, minimal tourists, regular growing seasons, people who know and enjoy hard work and simple pleasures as you and Rebecca have outlined here.

But I digress. One thing that blogging is so good for is marking progress. You can look back a year and see HUGE differences on your property, but also in your skill-set and knowledge.

Keep up the great work, guys. Maybe we'll be distant neighbors in a few years.

9:40 AM  
Blogger javaseeker said...

Welcome thingfish--
Aside from dealing with the unrelenting heat, you floridians have many plants that grow well down there that can't do well here. Citrus of course, but exotics like dragonfruit, and my absolute favorite iced tea herb, Lemon verbena (mine struggles at about 3 inches tall, yours could grow over your head). As for me, I miss the sweet bing cherries of Michigan. Each place has their treasure. I wish you well on your path...

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast