Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Doves a-flyin'

Two years ago, I traded a 22 bolt action rifle that I had never used for a pile of maybe 30 or so dove breasts. Wrapped in bacon, fried in a cast-iron skillet, the dove breast became one of the top five best meals ever for me.

Today, a friend and her husband, as well as the dove trader, took me out to my first dove shoot. It was a hot and muggy day, which turned to rain off and on into the evening. The birds weren't interested in flying, and we packed up our guns several times, but as soon as we'd start, out they'd come. Eventually, I brought my first bird down. What a dinner we had tonight. Corn on the cob, fresh steamed broccoli and cheese over rice, and grilled bacon-wrapped dove breasts. A couple of Killian's red bottles later, and we were done.

Tomorrow, my Becca will make some dove jus out of the bones and bits for a few more delicious meals to come. I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Ooltewah, Tennessee Forecast